Friday, November 6, 2009

You left them where?

My Zune



Niki & Tom

What do all these things have in common?

Slim-jim kit



Keys in the ignition


Market on Henderson Rd.




Tall glass of beer





...and AAA?


If you guess Thursday afternoon, you guessed correctly!


So at about 3:00pm I get a call from Tom, asking if I told Carly to come home after school, instead of going to the student government meeting. Well, I didn't tell her she could go, but I didn't tell her she couldn't go. At this point, we had no idea where she was.


I called her school to page her, but no answer. I called the house, but no answer. So Tom decided to pick me up, that way we could go home, and figure out where she was. Along the way we decided to stop off at the market to pick up a couple things. I put my Zune on the side of my chair- knowing that it probably wouldn't get stolen- I didn't mind leaving it there. However, Tom decided it was not a safe place- so he leaned into the car to move it... when he saw me walking his way, he decided to just lock all the doors instead, and get out.
We did our shopping, came out, and he then asked- "Do you have the keys?". "Um, no". They were locked in the car, in the ignition! I distracted him so much with the Zune and then walking to him (instead of the store), that he just completely forgot about the keys! With all the doors locked, I put in a call to AAA... now that I am on the account! We needed to wait 30-45 minutes, so we decided to go to the Thai restaurant that was next to the market...
...but it was closed! Next to that was a bar. Humm, too early for a beer? Naaaa. So we went in and ordered a beer a piece. Soon I had received a call to notify us that the AAA truck was on it's way! Yippee!
In no time the car was opened. Watching the man unlock the van was cool. He took a pressure cuff, inserted it between the door and the frame and pumped it open enough to get the tool inside. Presto! The door was open :)
And Carly, oh- she was at home.
The best thing about being locked out of our car was that it forced us to spend time together. OK, that sounds bad. But I don't mean it badly.... all I am saying is that Tom and I are so busy that we never have time to ourselves--we always have a kid attached to us, or a errand to run or something going on. So for that short 30 minute period, we were given the opportunity to stop, relax and enjoy each others company. It was the best. As stressful as it could have been, it was not. I am truly thankful for fate locking the keys in the car :)







1 comment:

The Kuhns said...

Aww even though you got locked out and had no idea where your daughter was at first, its awesome you got to spend some alone time =)