Last week we finally got the results from the 3rd grade Reading Achievement Test that Abby took last month. She did phenomenal! Not only did she exceed in her report card, she also exceeded in the reading test!
The Reading Achievement Test "measures students progress toward the end of the year Ohio Academic Standards. The standards have been developed by Ohio teachers, parents and community stakeholders." Furthermore, "by meeting grade-level expectations, students will be on track for continued success beyond third grade." The above report explains her test score means (which were awesome!).
Abby scored a 435- which means she performed in the 'advance level' reading for the 3rd grade (I suppose all those chapter books she reads really pays off!). The school average was 406, the district average was 405 and sadly, the state average fell to 399... 399 does not even meet the state standard. Shame on Ohio.
The final chart, in the report, shows that Abby is above proficient in 'reading process', 'informational text', 'literary text' and proficient in 'acquisition of vocabulary'.
We are very proud of her- she has been on cloud 9 since seeing her results... could you blame her? LOL!
To read more about the test, you can visit http://www.success.ode.state.oh.us.
Then there is Carly! She made Honor Roll for the 4th year in a row!!! She has been on the honor roll since the 4th grade. She too is a little smarty pants. At the beginning of her 7th grade year, her math and English teacher recommended that she be placed into the honors program instead of the mainstream 7th grade classes- so she is in honors Algebra and honors English. She took a good hit the first quarter of school, in math, but she has made a successful rebound and is maintaining a B. All of her other classes she is Acing! As most of you know, she loves school and loves to engulf herself in a good book (most of them well beyond her grade level). Tom and I have recently started checking out books from OSU and Columbus State, just to keep her brain cells entertained! What a nerd she is!

So at the last assembly the Jr. High had, she, along with many others, were called to the front to receive their honor roll/merit certificate. Pfff. The 'certificate' enables them to either have 10 bonus points to the class of their choice OR 5 hall passes. Of course the nerd chose the hall passes! In case you are wondering, she didn't get an 'Honor Roll' plaque (or certificate) or even a bumper sticker :'( ...at least when she was at Newton we got a cool bumper sticker that says "my child is a honor roll student at Newton Elem"... and when she was in Duluth, she got a certificate. Pfff. That's OK, I'm over it! I guess we don't need a piece of paper to let us know that our child(ren) is on the right path to success. :)
1 comment:
Holy cow, that's incredible!!! WTG Abby!! I am so proud of her. I can't even imagine how you feel. I was smiling the whole way through this post. I think mom's love to see other mom's kids excell. I know I do!!! You definitely have some smart cookies on your hands. Good job Niki and Tom. You gotta take a lot of the credit ;)
Post a Comment