Tonight I made:
North Indian Spiced Cabbage, Fennel and Onions
I also added in some diced up tofu to give it a meaty texture. I thought it was yummy, Abby liked the 'salad' and Carly and Isa were not to fond of it. O'well. I tried.
How to:
3 Tbs. vegetable oil
1 tsp. fennel seeds
1 tsp. cumin seeds
1 large fennel bulb (1 lb.), halved and thinly sliced (4 cups)
1 large onion, halved and sliced into half-moons (2 cups)
½ head cabbage (1½ lb.), cored and thinly sliced (8 cups)
¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
1 15-oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
2 Tbs. fresh lemon grass
1 tsp. garam masala or curry powder
1 tsp. fennel seeds
1 tsp. cumin seeds
1 large fennel bulb (1 lb.), halved and thinly sliced (4 cups)
1 large onion, halved and sliced into half-moons (2 cups)
½ head cabbage (1½ lb.), cored and thinly sliced (8 cups)
¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
1 15-oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
2 Tbs. fresh lemon grass
1 tsp. garam masala or curry powder
Then:
Heat oil in cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add fennel seeds and cumin seeds, and sauté 30 seconds. Add fresh fennel and onion, and season with salt, if desired (this is where I added in the tofu). Sauté 5 minutes. Carefully pile cabbage into pan, cover, and cook 15 minutes, or until cabbage has cooked down, stirring often. Add cayenne pepper, reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook 20 to 30 minutes, or until vegetables are browned and caramelized. Stir in chickpeas, lemon grass, and garam masala, and cook 5 minutes more, or until chickpeas are heated through.
All the veggies, cut and ready to go
1 comment:
I'm not a big fan of cabbage, but that looks SUPER yummy!! I just might have to try making that one day. Thanks for the idea, and better yet, giving instructions on how to make it =D
Post a Comment