Today the girls and I decided to stroll through Granville. I have always wanted to check out on of the museums downtown, so I figured this was the best time to check it out.
The Avery Downer House is a historical home that has been preserved to it's original architecture and deco. This month features the "Yuletide Treasures"... so it is decorated with Christmas stuff from the early-late 1800s. http://www.robbinshunter.org/index.html
Here the girls are, getting set to go inside... then here all four of are in the only area of the house where people can sit on the furnishing!
An addition was made by the second owner. Apparently he loved 'risky' art for that time period, and built this octagon room and lit it with tiny bulbs across the ceiling.
Here is the side of the house. This first picture is actually the entryway of a church that one of the owners loved. It was dedicated to Victoria Woodhull, a woman's activist from this area, and this time period. http://victoria-woodhull.com/whoisvw.htm
When the clock strikes every hour, a giant painted paper mache statue of her comes out. It's actually kinda creepy! Here, see for yourself!
More Pictures!



3 comments:
How cool and that lady is a bit freaky! lol
What a neat little house. Your girls are so lucky to have a mom like you take them to places like this. The pictures are awesome as usual!!
And ya, she is a bit creepy. I would consider that house haunted now. LOL
I think that it is somewhat haunted. There was one room downstairs that guests can enter- but carly and I got this overwhelming feeling of 'something is not right'. It was a pink room, very bland deco and just dark... very eery. Anyhow, it was the room of a little girl that once lived there.
Guests are not allowed upstairs. I can't imagine how creepy it is up there. By the rear stairs, you get the same eery feeling.
Gotta love free things to do!
Post a Comment