Monday, November 16, 2009

Date in the Kitchen


(yeah, we look goofy... that's how we roll!)


Tom and I don't get out often, as a married couple. We lost our dating privileges many moons ago. Come to think of it, we have not had a date since 1997. I'm kidding, we went on vacation (just the two of us), like 6 years ago. Then there was that time when my mom watched Carly and Abby when we lived in AZ, so we could go out on Valentines day. Oh... then in May 2008, Stacy
watched the kids overnight so we could celebrate
our 12 year wedding anniversary. So I guess we have had a few dates since '97.



Anyhow, Tom and I decided to make this fabulous meal (eggplant/zucchini/lentil & potato casserole) last night. As we prepared all the food, Carly, Abby and Isabella played (nicely) in the other room with one another. It was like heaven... no fighting, name calling, yelling, nothin'... just good ol' fashion fun. About 20 minutes into the prep, I realized how 'quite' the house was. All I could hear was the conversation that was going on between Tom and I. A conversation that was, fun. No bills, no school, no kids, no distractions... just us. At that point I turned to him and expressed my feelings on how good it felt to be with him and how 'datelike' our evening was... I literally felt like I was out on a 'date' with him. It was truly refreshing to work together with one goal in mind and not have 3 little distractions. Do you know what that feels like? I'll tell you. Fun. Loving. Exciting. Refreshing. Young. Intimate. Carefree. Relaxing! Qualities that every date should have... but our date didn't even leave the doorstep of our home. As a matter of fact, our date got cut short by three hungry mouths as well!





As like all good things, our date came to an end... but dinner was nowhere near being finished. By the time the casserole was thoroughly cooked, it was near 8pm. So we didn't eat our date meal. We made an alternative meal. TG for left overs!





But here are a couple of pictures of us on our date. Fun, huh?





























I am mashing potatoes and I have no idea what Tom is doing. LOL...

2 comments:

Heather said...

You two are so cute!!! Glad you made time for each other and that the kids gave you a little break!!!

The Kuhns said...

Aww that was so sweet! glad you guys had a few quality minutes to have a "date" at home =)