Saturday, October 10, 2009

WARNING... Yucky photo


My daughter seems to think that this is 'normal'. Will someone please tell her that she has a serious ingrown toenail and if left untreated, can become very dangerous? Let be the first to tell you... this photo does not do the icky factor justice. Her toe is so red and swollen, that it almost looks purple. If it weren't for Tom being at work right now, I'd really think about jumping in the car and taking her to urgent care.
Anyhow, here are a couple fun links on ingrown toenails:
When I was (for lack of pretty word) laying into Carly about the consequences of not treating the infection, I politely told her that the infection could spread to her blood stream... or the toe could 'die' and be cut off. Yes, I had to go that far. She is SOOOOOOO afraid of going to the doctor about her ingrown toenail. Why? She has already had that same nail removed several times and she is deathly afraid of the needle and scissors. More importantly, she doesn't want anyone other than Dr. Ulland to touch her feet :( I feel bad because there is no way I am taking her to Duluth just to have her toenail removed! So I had to frighten her with such extremeness. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sepsis/DS01004

1 comment:

Heather said...

OMG, ingrown toenails are the WORST!!! I had one that festered for like a year. It would get better, then get worse again, and on and on. Finally I just had to bare the pain of my nail growing back through so that it just went straight again. It was so painful, but worth it. Hope that thing gets better. YUCK!