Thursday, December 3, 2009

Boo in the Pool

Long story, that I'd rather not get into right now, led me to bringing Isabella to school with me. It was that, or stay home and not take the practical exam for swimming...which could possibly bring me down a substantial amount.

So I packed up her suit, towel and lil' swimmers. But big 'doy', I forgot to pack extra regular diapers. Anyhow, since she is not an official water baby (like some babies *clear throat* Dakota), she wore a life vest. I was also worried about getting water in her ears, so this kinda prevented that from happening :)




When we got into the leisure pool area, she freaked (in a happy way). She ran over to the pool in shear excitement. A guard brought over the vest and we put it on. I think that is when the novelty of the idea of swimming began to fade. She tried several times to grab her shoes and dart for the door, but finally I had to put my foot down, and make the plunge with her.

The pool, on the shallowest end, is about a foot. Shallow enough for her to stand... but in that darn jacket, she looked more like a buoy! Poor thing- she was a little agitated. So I slowly crept up to the water feature in the middle of the pool... she was not having that. AT ALL! My final attempt at getting her happy and comfortable in the water, was to take her down to the deepest point (maybe 4 feet), hold on to her, tell her to kick and give her some words of encouragement. That worked... until she saw the basketball and hoop. I let her 'throw' the ball... but you can imagine how far it didn't go. Imagine the setting: Mom holding toddler in 4 feet of water, toddler trying to lift the ball over head (with failed attempt every time) and throwing it (not up) about an inch from your face... only to make a splash. Repeat. And again. And again. And again.




Eventually she kept saying "out, out, out!", so we got out and got her dressed. Theeeeen, she wanted to have fun running around outside the pool area. So she burned off some steam running in circles and eating her 'aps' (apple).



was a very good afternoon with the Kid. She's a keeper ;)





This last picture is a photo of all of the students in my swimming class. If some knew this was posted... I might get yelled at! Hopefully they don't follow!












1 comment:

Heather said...

LOL NIKI!!!!!!!!!!!! You crack me up. Poor Isabella and those darn ears. I bet she wished that stinkin vest wasn't stuck to her. Dakota wasn't all that thrilled when she had to wear one in Montana because of the lake. I bet she would be a true water baby if it wasn't for her poor ears. =(

Oh and yes, Dakota is the same exact way with balls in the pool. I cringe when I see one because Dakota becomes instantly obsessed with wanting it in her posession, and swimming is no longer fun. Argh!!!