After waiting and playing, the torture began :(
First we were taken into a small cubical-enclosed room. Here she was tested for her hearing and pressure in her ears. Giving a toddler a hearing test is really unique...and honestly, I think that it may not be all accurate, but who am I to say-I am not the professional.
Anyhow, we are in this box room and the tech says Isabella's name into a mic. which is connected to various speakers. The goal is for Isabella to turn her head in the direction of the voice. After several decibels of the voice, the tech then exposed Isabella to various (obnoxious) noises...again at different decibels.
"Visual reinforcement audiometry (VRA) is the method of choice for children between 6 months and 2 years of age. The child is trained to look toward (localize) a sound source. When the child gives a correct response, e.g., looking to a source of sound when it is presented, the child is "rewarded" through a visual reinforcement such as a toy that moves or a flashing light."
http://www.asha.org/public/hearing/testing/#older_infants_and_toddlers
When that test was completed, she inserted a soft plastic tube-thing in her ear to test the pressure... to check for fluid in the ear. This procedure is called a Tympanogram Test. Naturally, the right ear was not normal. This is, and has always been, the problem ear.
After being tortured in the small box room (talk about anxiety attack, if you are claustrophobic!), we moved on to the exam room. Isabella is all to familiar with the look of an exam room... she was freaking out!
Dr. Tobin looked in her ear... and guess who has, yet another, ear infection...
You guessed it! She not only has fluid built up in her right ear, but puss too. Ick! She is a 'great candidate' for tubes. Duh... I could have told you that and saved us all time and money!
After reviewing the benefits and risks, we signed up for surgery.
Isabella is scheduled to have the tubes put in on July 28th. The only major issue is that we have to make sure she is 'healthy', or it cannot be done. Basically, free of a fever. If she has an infection, Dr. Tobin will still do the surgery...but like I said, she has to be free from fever. So now she is on a 5th (maybe 6th) type of medication. Omnicef. Come to think of it, I think she has been on this once before and it did nothing. Heck, at this point I don't think anything will work. Dr. Tobin said we can try another round of Rocephin... but it is such a strong antibiotic, that I'd rather not do it; especially since it only temporarily worked.
Anyhow, that is the latest update with the baby's health :)
1 comment:
Poor Isaboo. Gosh, she has been through so much. I'm hopin it's a quick and relatively painless surgery. I know, ya right!! She seems like a tough cookie though. Judging by the pictures, she took all the tests, pokes and proding pretty well. It sucks to see little ones like her endure so much. Keeping my fingers crossed that everyone goes well. Hugs to you and the family!!
Post a Comment