Friday, July 10, 2009

The flies among us...

This week has been a long one! It started out with Tom's birthday (post/pictures to come), then I got a job...and had several tests this week. Long and exhausting, but TGIF!

I found a job listing for a Lab Tech at OSU, in the Molecular Genetics department... so first thing Monday morning, I called to arrange an interview. The interview was set up for Tuesday afternoon. (Oh- forgot to mention, it is for a lab doing research on Drosophila... something I became very familiar with last summer while doing research with Dr. Scherer at The College of St. Scholastica.) So Monday night I revised my resume and printed a copy of my research paper :)

Tuesday afternoon rolls around and I make my way up to the 9th floor of the College of Biological Sciences... that was scary! I begin talking to Dr. Simcox... she asks what my major is, goals, yada yada yada. I then tell her about my experience last summer. She brightened up--as much as I had the night before! In her words, "I think you were sent to me." She asked if I had any questions and of course my only question was "when do you anticipate knowing who you plan to hire?" Dr. Simcox then stated, "I'd like to hire you right now!" YIPPY!!!! We toured the labs and was introduced to several others that work in the department. Our next step was to discuss pay. Hell, at this point I am in a lab... you could pay me peanuts for all I care! LOL... not really :) She decided to pay me on the upper end of the scale for my title--because of my experience (I am assuming). Fine by me :) She wanted me to start right then... but I needed to take care of other business first. So I started Wednesday instead.

So this week is a get acquainted week. Next week she will have me start on a project of my own. She has (if I remember correctly) four projects that are on hold and need someone to take over. If I do a substantial amount to the research and literature, my name will go on the journal... MY NAME ON THE JOURNAL!!! Do you know how HUGE that is? Well, trust me... it's huge!

So that is it in a nutshell... for now!
I found some funny cartoons- so I thought I'd share. They might be silly to you... but I kinda like them :)







No comments: