Monday, July 27, 2009

Diving Duo

Carly jumping of the high dive. Sorry, it is really hard to see.
Isaboo swimming... looks like she is under water, but she is not :)
Abby at the end of the low dive
Waiting to go inside the kiddie-pool area
OH-IO
Competition pool
Carly off low dive

Sunday we ditched softball and went to the aquatic center at OSU instead. After swimming in the same-'ol, same-'ol pool, Carly asked if she could go to the diving pool...which is another part of the center. Luckily, it was open for recreational swimming. We packed up and headed over to the diving pool.

I won't lie, when I saw that the depth range was from 14'-17', I was a little (OK, a lot) freaked out. But I could not let my fear get the best of Carly and Abby. Carly was excited from the getgo, so naturally, she jumped in from the low dive (which is not very low!) and swam like a fish. Next was Abby, and she jumped in naturally as well, and too, swam like a fish. They took turns for about 10 minutes, when Carly glowed... she wanted to attempt jumping from the high dive. Again, I was not going to let my fear get the best of her. She one by one climbed up the ladder, positioned herself at the end of the board and leaped! Exciting to her, stressful for me! When she surfaced, instantaneously she wanted to go back for more! Abby, on the other hand, stuck to the low dive :)

When Tom arrived, post workout, he somehow convinced Carly to dive... head first, off the high dive. I was extremely nervous as I stood at the end of the low dive. When I saw that she was safe and at the edge of the water, it was finally my turn to dive in. I would like to think that I am a well versed diver...but I was in no way ready for the spring that those boards have. When my body met the water, my bathing suit took a fast trip south! Funny, but not! My suit is about 2 sizes to big...so I was in no way, shape or form diving again. So being the genius that I am... I decided to just jump. Feet first. Into a pool 16 feet deep. Overweight girl, straight down. That was and is the last time that I 'jump' feet first! It felt like an eternity for my head to emerge from the water...and at that very moment I realized that my lungs are not ready for that.

Long story short (well, it is already long)... it was a good thing that I did not jump in BEFORE the girls had...because then my fear would have gotten the best of them!
The following video is Carly going off the high dive and Abby going off the low dive. Caution... the video is loud :)

No comments: