Monday, June 1, 2009

As most of you know, Carly, and the rest of the 6th grade class, went on their Washington DC trip last week. We have a TON of pictures...I am talking 200+ per day...so with thousands (between all the chaperons) of pictures to go through, I figured I would pick a random sample for everyone to see!

They hit up many museums and monuments. Even a dinner cruise and ball game! I must admit, they packed in a lot of 'things to do' in the 4 days they were there :)

You will notice a lot of the same group of kids. Most of the time, there were 4 other parents with Tom & Carly...and about 6 kids...all girls!





Carly in the US History museum gift shop



The group at Mt. Vernon. Resting place to George and Martha Washington




Believe it or not, Tom was a chaperon. At times he was more of a big kid. Here he is...or I should say, here is the bus chair giving birth to his face!










I think this is Arlington National Cemetery. They watched the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Tom has a video, but I am too lazy to upload it right now!





One night they had a dinner cruise on the Potomac River. Here is
a few of her classmates :) Yeah, they are cool! LOL!





Oriole Park at Camden Yards
Of all things, this was one of Tom's highlights for the week! Rumors have it, he was a kid at the game.
I won't go into every historic detail of Camden Yard, but here you can read all about it!
http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/bal/ballpark/history.jsp




Kalista, Tom and Carly




Carly and Abby on the dinner cruise



Terri and Carly (Kalista in green) at the WWII Memorial





Kirstin, Carly & Kalista at the History Museum






Obama's House!
Cheyenne, Carly & Terri




I guess this is a big tourist attraction!



































































Sorry for the long gap. I guess while you scroll down, you can take time to reflect on how great the US is!

















A bunch of 6th grade girls at the WWII memorial







Elenore Roosevelt statue :)











Cool shot of the girls at the Washington Monument




















A memorial statue dedicated to all the women that served in the Vietnam War









Mom's favorite statue.
"The Three Servicemen Statue at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial captures a full range of emotions. Taken as a whole, the statue symbolizes the spirit of compromise and reconciliation. Like the the Vietnam War itself, the controversy over the creation of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial divided America while inflicting deep wounds among the veterans. The proposed design for the Vietnam Veterans Memorial angered some Vietnam veterans and others who felt that it did not convey the heroism, patriotism, and honor inherent in most war memorials. To them, placement of the memorial below ground level hid it from view, while its color further hinted at a feeling of shame. They thought the memorial focused too much on death and loss. The Three Servicemen Statue was a compromise to that controversy, a compromise that sought to continue the healing of a nation"



It was a little froggy this morning at the Washington Monument
http://www.nps.gov/wamo/






I am so happy that they got to see the Korean War Memorial. I have wanted to see it for YEARS! So at least now I have some beautiful pictures of it. Here is the web site about the National Park.


Lincoln Memorial


No comments: