Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Werner's visit the ER, again

Got a call from Abby's school nurse, "you need to come pick up Abby, she has pink eye very bad...in both eyes." WHAT??? She was fine this morning. Then she tells me that conjunctivitis is spreading throughout the school. Err. So Tom and I headed off to pick her up. Knowing that she would not be allowed back in school until she has seen a doctor, I called to see if I could get her in to our family physician-with no such luck. Therefore we proceeded to the ER...yet again. I swear, we need to invest in Licking County Memorial Hospital stock!

Tom and Abby go back to the room, while I kept Isabella occupied in the waiting area. According to Abby the doctor examined her eye (in the dark) and decided that it was not pink eye. After reaching that conclusion, he sprayed her eye with fluorescein (to dye the eyeball) and inserted a few drops of topical anesthesia to numb her eye while he cleaned the inside of the eyelid. To clean the eyelid, the doctor flipped her lid and removed the granules with a large q-tip. Ouch! After, he gave her Tylenol for the discomfort :).


She was finally diagnosed with a Corneal Abrasion. She has eye drops to prevent infection, and has to miss recess and gym for the remainder of the week. Good thing it is getting cold again...they probably won't play outside anyways! She is feeling better now, and if you know her well, you know she will milk this for all it's worth! Which to mom, it's worth the milk! LOL!

The top picture is Abby sportin' her ID band.
The bottom is just an angle to see her poor little eye. Right (her left) eye.




No comments: