Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Don't Knock it... 1980s

Tom and I got into a convo today (maybe it was yesterday) about the 80s. I think that as much as people like to mock the 80s, they deapheartedly love the 80s. Whether one has been around to witness the trials and tribulations, or not, everyone loves something about the 80s. Go ahead, deny it...then think about the 80s; the styles, shows, people, influences, music, cartoons (EVERYONE loves cartoons), games, inventions...anything. Think about things that you use throughout your day. Now, would you have that item had the 80s not been such a powerful generation? I am proud to be a "Generation X'er" and this is why:
  • Jelly shoes
  • Guess Jeans and Jean jackets
  • Billabong attire (maybe just a west coast thing)
  • Stirrup pants
  • Spandex shorts
  • Biker shorts under mini skirts
  • Big hair...I mean bust out the Aqua Net... we need to get these bangs up there!
  • Feathered hair (eek scary)
  • Speaking of scary hair... the Mullet
  • Overalls
  • Mary flippin Jane's!
  • Banana clips and other unique hair clips
  • The side pony tail
  • Mesh see-through shirts
  • Blue eye make-up
  • Snap bracelets
  • Large hoop earrings... or non matching earrings
  • Neon and that cool clothing that changed color when you sweat (not cool)
  • Chuck Taylor's
  • Leg warmers
  • Rubik's Cube
  • Atari
  • Scratch n' Sniff stickers
  • Speak N Spell
  • Poll Position
  • A Christmas Story
  • Smurfs
  • Alf
  • Growing Pains
  • Pretty in Pink
  • MTV
  • Cassettes
  • CD's (although incredibly over priced)
  • The Simpson's (Tracy Ulman(sp) Show)
  • World Wide Web was launched
  • Mobile phones
  • Cabbage Patch Dolls
  • Garbage Pail Kids
  • Light Bright
  • Fax Machine
  • Post it Note
  • Berlin Wall came down
  • Olli North (WTH???)
  • Halley's Comet
  • "Where's the Beef"
  • "I learned it by watching you" & "This is your brain on drugs" & "Just say NO" PSA!!! The war on drugs
  • PROZAC!!!!
  • B-2 Stealth Bomber
  • Micheal Jackson, Cesar Chavez, Reagan, Sandra Day O'Connor, Elizabeth Jordon Carr, Jessica McClurr (not sure of spelling) (I am aware these names should not be on the same line)
  • D.A.R.E

OK, I'd better stop. My point is that the fashions and drugs may have made a (bad) name for the 80s...but without the 80s where would we be? Look beyond the bad and see the good :) I love me some 80's

3 comments:

The Band said...

This was totally me... stirrup pants, teased hair and banana clips... sigh. I just loved those days. I'm doing my best to make sure the kids know and love the music just like we did. Don't think I'd suck up the hairspray like back then though.

Christina Lykke said...

Have you seen the horrendous roman sandal jellies at walmart??? :puke:

Loresa P. said...

All of those...ok about 90% were totally me! I miss those days....

On a side note, I bought Mia a pair of jelly sandals. :-D