With that said...
Abby was already in the tub. Isa stripped and proceeded to step in. When she got her first foot in she slipped. Her second leg managed to get over the frame of the tub and once her whole body was in, she slipped and (according to Abby), she fell on the toy .
She landed straddling it- but Abby didn't tell me this- this is based off the injury. It does not have the lid to make it a complete square, so the edges are exposed Isa INSTANTLY started screaming. Blood curdling scream. Abby starts yelling "MOM, he do-da is bleeding!!!". When I got in I laid her on the ground and wrapped a towel around her like a diaper. Blood everywhere. I applied pressure, tried to maintain my own composure and get her calm. I yelled to Tom that we need to take her to the ER. This was at about 4pm. I got the bleeding to slow down , but when I changed the first diaper, I found 2 blood clots. We decided that we would wait a little bit longer, perhaps until morning because she was not screaming in pain any longer. But then she pee'd and the screams of agony began. By 6pm we were in the hospital room.
Let the fun (right) begin.
The Resident came in to examine her vagina. It took me holding her top half down and her (dr.) holding from waist down, plus trying to pry Isa's legs open, PLUS spread the labia to find the injury. No luck. She decided to go over her findings with the Attending Dr. They decide to call in a surgeon to give her a look. He comes in with the resident... we all go at it again with Boo. His conclusion was that he could not tell. All he could confirm was that she had a laceration on her labia minor and a peritoneal laceration- not how big or if it required stitches. So a second surgeon came in. Keep in mind this is the third time that Isa has been pried open (never thought kids could get that open!). She was kicking a screaming. It was awful! Carly and Abby stepped out every time a doctor came in because they could not bear to see Isa that way. Anyhow the second surgeon decided it would be best to have her sleeping. Duh.
The plan at 9:00pm (or around that, can't remember exact times) was to admit her, get an IV hooked up and do the procedure at 7am. Well, that all changed in the blink of an eye. The head surgeon decided he wanted to get her in ASAP. The paramedics got the IV in. Within the hour Isa pulled it out. No joke. She had had enough of the place, the people and the pain! The RN removed the tape and asked the anesthesiologist if he would put in a line after she was asleep- and that is how that went down. By 11pm we were waiting up in the O.R and I was signing paperwork.
That is where it hit me. I felt like such a poopy mom. How could I have let this happen? Her vagina. VAGINA! I had a pitty party right then and there. I, me, I, me. But looking back, there was nothing I could have done, even had a been in there. I let her climb in on her own all the time. Anyhow- she was done around midnight and the doctor came out and talked to us. She got 5 stitches total and needed to be in recovery for an hour. So we went up to her room. Before we knew it she was with us.
She slept all night. She fussed a little when the RN took her BP (on her leg), but other than that, she has been a trooper. She is not even complaining about pain. She has pee'd A LOT! Even in the big potty, and never a wince. We were discharged around noon, after she ate lunch.

Here she is the morning after the procedure. Happy as a bird, eating her egg, cereal, toast, banana and milk! She had quite the appetite after not eating for over 12 hours!
Sippin on some soy milk, chillin' with her new surgery bear :)

Singing our ABC's waiting for the nurse to come in and take off her 'bracelet' AKA, I.V!
No comments:
Post a Comment