
In the news, recently, several Jr. High Schools in Colorado have banned students from wearing these so called "Snap" bracelets; otherwise known to us generation X'ers as "Jelly Bracelets". It amazes me how far we have come with the meaning of each colored jelly. Really? Are you serious? Back when I wore them, it was a way of signifying friendship--by sharing, exchanging and looping single or multiple colors together, to form a 'U' shape.
Instructions
Things You’ll Need:
- 2 or 4 jelly bracelets
- Step 1:Find two jelly bracelets to hook together. You can use the same or different colors.
- Step 2:Hold one bracelet in each hand, and place them on a table with the right one laying halfway over the top of the left one, so they look like a Venn diagram.
- Step 3:Use your left thumb to press down on the left side of the right bracelet. Use the bottom of the same thumb to simultaneously hold down the left side of the left bracelet.
- Step 4:Grasp the right side of the left jelly bracelet with your thumb and middle finger. Lift it up about an inch through the middle of the right bracelet while still holding down your left thumb on the left sides of the bracelets. Lightly hold down the right side of the right bracelet with the ring finger of your right hand.
- Step 5:Bring the bracelet you are holding with your thumb and middle finger to the left, and push it down on the table into the middle of the left opening, moving your left thumb out of the way. Hook the left side of the right jelly bracelet with the middle finger of your right hand, and pull it up about an inch.
- Step 6:Pinch the left side of the left jelly bracelet between the thumb and index finger of your left hand. Pull it up while pushing your right thumb down and pulling your right middle finger up. Keep pressing down on the right bracelet with your right ring finger.
- Step 7:Replace your right thumb with your right middle finger. Grab the free end of bracelet with your left thumb. Push down with the back of your right middle finger. Pull up with your left thumb and index finger, pinching the two bracelets together.
- Step 8:Push your right hand through the new opening that you created with your hooked together bracelets. It will be snug. You may have to push and stretch the bracelets to fit your hand through.
Tips & Warnings
- You can hook together four bracelets instead of two. Use two bracelets on each side instead of just one.
But today, 20+ years later, they have taken on a new role. A sexual role. Apparently parents, and principals alike, are saying that kids are playing what is called "Snap". It sounds fun, right? I think not. I highly doubt some of these kids are wearing them for the purpose of the game- which btw I have found articles that date back 5 years ago, about school age children 'playing' this game. So why the sudden outrage baffles me. I think that if parents taught their children values and to respect their bodies... these bracelets would be worn for the sake of matching it to an outfit... or because they are 'cool'- and not in a sexual manner. But just in case you don't mind your child sporting these bracelets and leaving the house dressed to promote the promiscuity that they entail- here are the meanings and directions of how to play Snap.
Instructions:
1. Familiarize yourself with the meanings of each colored bracelet: Yellow—give a hug; Purple—give a kiss; Red—perform a lap dance; Blue—perform oral sex and Black--have intercourse.
2.Choose the bracelet that represents the acts you are willing to perform, if you are a girl.
Sounds fun... Let's Play!!!
I'm sorry, when I think of Jelly bracelets, I think about Madonna, bright neon flashy attire and obnoxious 1980s fashions.....Can we just let kids be kids?


4 comments:
WTF ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?! I remember watching an episode of George Lopez that had something similar to what you just described, but please. What a joke. And here I bought a few of these a week or so ago for Dakota to play dress up with. Geez, who would have known. So lame!
So I started thinking about this after I had posted...and then I was gone. But if wearing the bracelets is disruptive to teachers and students, then yes, something needs to be done... much like not being able to wear certain clothing to school, or lack there of. But if these jelly bracelets are not affecting instructional hours or grades, then for Gods sake, let them wear the stupid things.
Oh, and Heather... be careful which color you give your toddler to wear ;)
oh please. this is like the "rainbow parties" of a few years ago. lots of articles on the possibility of it, never actually happens. but you know what kids DO you multiplicities of bracelets like that for? to hide if they're cutting their wrists.
Funny thing is I think it is a regional concept. I asked my oldest, who is in middle school, if she knew the meaning behind the bracelets (or even how to 'play' Snap), and she was completely clueless. So maybe middle America is not effected by this stupidity!
Post a Comment