Friday, August 6, 2010

Our new pets... I mean pest


Recently we have noticed a flux in the amount of fruit flies that hover above our fruit basket. It's actually getting out of control. When not in a controlled environment, FF can breed and lay eggs at an insane amount. Really insane. Which is why, I am guessing, California has strict laws about importing fruit in from other states and countries. I don't blame them. 100%. Although, the species that I work with is not indigenous to CA.

Anyhow, recently we have seen a LOT more of the pesky critter more than I'd like to admit. For that reason I set up "Fly Traps".

What you do is take the above vial and make a paper funnel where the cotton ball is. After a few days count to see how many pet fruit flies you have accumulated!
Our first vial that I brought back, to the lab to examine, had 3 males and 3 females; and since they are pets, they have names. Well, most of them. We have:
Fruity
Richard
Penelope
We still need to name 2 males and a female. Any ideas?
We currently have two more vials (that are plugged with cotton) at home. I think we have cleared up a good portion of those that came in via fruit (although Tom-at work- seems to think I brought them home), so with those we are doing a mini science project... well, more like learning about fly behavior (aka: mating) and life cycle. It should be fun... as long as they don't get away! Isa like 'playing' with the "buggies". LOL

And then there is this... I can NEVER get enough of it! LMAO!!!

No comments: