Carly was invited to take part of Forensics in the Classroom, sponsored by the PAST Foundation
If you want more info, click on the PAST Foundation name. Otherwise, I will give you a rundown of what they did each day. The photos are in no particular order... they were taken from the PAST Foundation facebook page.
The kids learned the basics of scientific inquiry and forensic investigation.
Day 2 (July 27, 2010):The classes talked about forensic anthropology and how to determine who a person is based off their bones. They then practiced fingerprinting. Guest speakers from "I know I Can" demonstrated to the kids why it is important to build a strong foundation before heading off to college.
Day 3 (July 28, 2010):The classes were introduced to feet/shoe prints. They used molds to determine foot/shoe size, as well as male and female. After the skeleton module, Carly was asked:
"Now that you have learned about the skeleton, what are ways that you plan to keep your skeleton healthy and in good condition.
Carly responds:
"Exercise more often and not watch as much TV/play video games all the time"
Day 4 (July 29, 2010):They went over, topics such as, criminal identification history, the three types of fingerprints (whorls, loops and arches), and the minutia points used to help print investigators move from class characteristics to personal identification.
They fingerprinted items for evidence at the crime scene, identified their crime scene victim and determined that Mr. Smolinski (victim) was murdered.


Day 5 (July 30, 2010):This was the kids last day. A couple of law students from the Public Defenders Office gave an overview of the Ohio legal system. They also had a mock murder trial... and from what Carly tells us, the defendant lost. I suppose they had plenty of evidence against him!

What I really liked about Carly taking this class is that she learned something new, improved her math skills and met new people.
No comments:
Post a Comment