As some of you may know, Tom dropped boiling hot water on his foot Saturday night. He has been self medicating (and has performed a self diagnosis) since then. I have yet to see the extent of the burn, but knowing Tom, it is far worse than one could imagine. For this reason, I finally convinced him to seek medical advise. It didn't take long to convince him...just a few nasty pictures from my Mosby's Dictionary. A mesh graft here, a third degree burn there... you get the picture (no pun intended!).
We set out to a local urgent care, but as it turns out the one we had driven to did not accept our insurance--so we went to the nearest ER. His final diagnosis was a 2nd degree burn, dorsal left foot, about 6-7cm. The ER also performed a debridement of the burn. Which, according to Tom hurt very bad *insert profane language here*...see, the hospital--HOSPITAL!!--could not find any lidocaine to numb to top of his foot. Sadly, Tom had to suffer through feeling every cut the doctor made removing the old, dead flesh. After all was said and done, the nurse gave him a fake shoe to use, but being the non-compliante patient that he is, he removed it and walked out with just his sock. >:( Now the girls have a fake size 16 medical shoe to play with!
He is doing OK tonight, has been managing to wheel himself all over the house using a rolling desk chair...quite entertaining if you ask me. The gauze on his foot is moist and red, looks gross. Tomorrow when he unveils the wound, I am going to record a play by play photo footage (hehe...like the puns tonight!) with my camera. If I have clean pictures, I will post some in the next blog :)
That is all for today. See, I told you this family has a thousand plus (+) tales! And it just gets better with time!
Wednesday, February 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment