Saturday, April 3, 2010

Isa's ER Trips....


On Sunday (March 28th), at about midnight (March 29th), Isa woke up puking. I did everything that I could to comfort her. By 4am she puked for what I thought would be the last time. I assumed that she ate dairy, or the Taco Bell that we ate accidentally slipped cheese into her burrito. Her lactose reactions typically have a 4-12ish hour cycle, depending on how much she takes in- so thought the end was near. So I got her dressed and ready for school at 6am. At this time she was still alert, walking on her own and 'functional'. Not much for appetite, but I figured she'd eat at school anyways. So as a precautionary, we picked up some pedialyte on the way to daycare. Dropped her off at 730ish and went on our way.

About 10ish I received the first call. She had thrown up twice and was lethargic. So I asked the daycare to let her rest and that I would phone Tom to come pick her up and take her to the ER. Eventually he picked her up. Meanwhile I had lunch with a friend of mine. At some point, Tom picked me up. We went home and monitored Isabella.


By 4PM we hit up the ER. We were immediately taken back to triage.

Daddy and Isa at Riverside Methodist ER triage

BP normal 105/50. Temp 99.5. Pulse and resp. both normal. Just lethargic. We hung out in triage for what seemed liked forever, but was maybe 20 minutes. They then got us a room. The poor people in the waiting room must have been calling us a few choice words because we bypassed about 25 patients! RN comes in, finally... a good hour later! Takes vitals again. BP 108/65 Temp 101.something. Eventually the doctor comes in and wants to try to get Isa hydrated via orally. I was a little upset that they would not do an IV. They knew 1) she had not kept anything down since midnight, 2) that she had not had a wet diaper in about 5 hours and the last time we could definitively tell them she pee'd was at 6am (10 hours) and 3) she was not alert! How they hell do you expect me to get her to take anything orally? Anyhow, by 8ish they brought in some pedialyte and apple juice. Not 30 minutes later is all came up... in front of the RN. All over me. It was one hot mess! All liquid, but hot mess! Doctor rushes in and says that she wants us transported to Nationwide Children's Hosp.. OK. Sign me up... esp. if they are going to get an iv drip in her. About 9ish doctor comes back in and says that she wants to keep Isa there (Riverside) because she thought that Isa had already had the Zofran (anti nausea/vomit med) and she was puking anyways. But no, she had not. So they put a rush order on it and by 930ish she got it. She also got Tylenol for her temp. Isa drank another 8oz of apple juice after the Zofran, so they kept us around another hour for observation.

We were finally discharged at about 11pm. She still had a fever, but low. 100.7. She was zonked! They also gave us a script for Zofran... 6 doses of it. Naturally all the pharmacies on our route home were closed!


THENNNNNN...............
Monday came and went. She spent the day sleeping and loaded on Zofran twice a day. She still had not drank much.


On Tuesday,while I was in class, she threw up again. Tom gave her the Zofran to help ease the upsettings (nice word!). When he picked me up at 8pm, she was still looking kinda 'eh'. Still no pee or poo. On our way home we stopped by the market and picked up a box of Bright Beginnings Soy drink. She swallowed almost a full can (8 oz) in no time. After we got home she layed on the couch... I took her temp and it was 102.7. I immediately gave her Tylenol. I was like a freak, and took her temp every 30 minutes to make sure it was going down. By the time I put her to bed, it had got down to right around 100. So I was OK with that. Oh, BTW that was axillary temp... so it very well could have been 103'ish+. Don't get me wrong, I was very scared... I thought about taking her to Children's at that point, but decided to just monitor it instead. Anyhow, over the course of the night I was like Hitler. I would wake her up and make her take a few sips of her BB. At best estimate, she had taken in about 24oz of this stuff. It is basically a meal in a can, so if that is all she is going to get in her... I am 100% ok with it. At least I know she has vital nutrients in her- for once!

Anyhow, she pooped (solid) at about 3am. I know that she is feeling 'better' because she woke me up to tell me!!! Then that morning (Wednesday) she used her potty chair AND it was a substantial amount...considering. She ate some cherrios and was very responsive...much more that the previous two days! So off to school she went. I provided them with more cherrios (although they provide them), two 8oz cans of BB and a bagel. I told them not to force her to eat... just offer- but beware because she had not eaten in two days. I let them know that if all she has is the BB, that is perfectly acceptable because it is basically a meal in a can. She poo'ed in her pull up while I was there talking to the director, so I knew that her digestive tract was getting back to normal... So I thought.

Thursday she woke up really sleepy and not interested in food or drinks, again. Hoping that she was just exhausted, we took her to school. Kindercare called early afternoon and said that they were having a hard time keeping Isa awake and interested in anything. They even tried taking her outside, where she proceeded to fall asleep in the bark of the playground. So once again, I called Tom to pick her up. At about 1pm I met him at OSU Med Center ER. They brought us back to the 'fast-track' dept. (probably because despite my concern, they maybe thought I was just being an over reactive parent). They drew blood, took her blood sugar levels and got her ready to have an IV put in. We had the STOOOOPIDEST RN attending us. Stupid beyond all stupidness. This lady decided that Isa needed to get apple juice in her system ASAP because her BS levels were low. OK, first, they were not life threatening low. Nothing that could not have been monitored, or fixed with an oz of juice- not 8oz. She decided it was necessary to have Isa take in ALL 8oz of apple juice... despite Tom YELLING at her "She does not need that much on an empty stomach. She does not eat or drink sugar, that is going to upset her stomach. She will throw it all up". The ding dong nurse told him, "she needs it! Her glucose is very low!". Sigh. Tom stormed off- before he yelled at her more. Honestly, I think that he was more upset because she was treating him like he knew nothing medical and regardless of his "fatherly" knowledge of his own child, he was wrong. Know what I mean?

Well, when the medical team realized that she needed to be in the ER, instead of fast tract, a bed suddenly opened. Oh, and that apple juice, not 10 minutes late I was wearing it. Tom was LIVID! He immediately started complaining to OSU customer service. Funny how a little complaining works. I suddenly had a clean pair of short and shirt brought to me AND they decided us that Isa was better fit at Nationwide Childrens Hospital.

At about 6pm we were ambulanced to NCH.
Isabella's new ride

Isa at Childrens

After taking her vitals and getting established with the ER doctor, a decision was made to send us to their 'Emergency Dept. Observation' unit. There, patients are allowed a 24 window of observation and after that point a decision is made to either discharge of admit. Once we got established into our new room (#52), Isa was given about 1-2oz of pedialyte. Within 5 minutes it all came up. We were hoping to hold off on the Zofran, but at that point we needed to give it to her- otherwise the fluids that were going in by IV would be pointless (with them coming out her mouth and all). Then she slept. And slept some more.
Friday morning I was instructed to order her breakfast. Very bland stuff... so she got cherrios and dry toast. She nitpicked at the cheerios, and I think more wound up on the ground then in her mouth! She still wanted nothing to do with her sippy cup of cherry pedialyte. At about 10am the nurses tried to get a urine sample via catheter- but two attempts failed. Isa also had 4 x-rays done. 2 chest and 2 abdomen. Eventually at about 11am we got a clean catch of urine into a sample cup... she pee'd on the toilet!!!! By 2pm we had the results in. The urine was clean, in other words, no UTI. The abdominal x-rays looked good, but the chest x-rays were a little cloudy. Since she has no history of Asthma, having pneumonia was questionable... but because her lungs sounded 'clear', doctors decided not to treat her for pneumonia.


snacking on her breakfast cheerios



watching cartoons




Isa and Abby after the nurses tried to cath her





At around 4pm the IV came out, but the port stayed in... in this picture she may still be hooked up- I can't remember!
About 5pm I decided to take her for a stroll. Abby came with because she was super bored!

She seemed to be doing well, but stared getting pale. so we headed back. When we arrived she started to cough- what was always a precursor to vomiting in the past. So we prepared for vomit. She didn't, but she did have a temp of 99.8. At that point she got a dose of Zofran. Tom held her and I took Carly and Abby to the 'Clubhouse'. The clubhouse is an activity and play room for siblings of patients. We thought for sure that they would want to observe her longer, since the GOAL of the day was to have her eat and drink by mouth, and keep it down WITHOUT the use of Zofran. But no. About 7pm the doctor came in.
I am a little disappointed in him too. He told us to avoid dairy. No s**t Sherlock, she is lactose intolerant. But that is not we he told us. He proceeded to tell us (after we told him she is LI) "because lactose does not digest well and can sometimes upset the stomach" ...which in turn makes one puke. Got it. DUH! So Tom asked about soy milk, SOY MILK.... he said to avoid it because of the fat content in milk. Um, Doctor, please go bash your head into the nearest wall. There are NO animal lipids in soy milk. Soy milk comes from a bean... idiot. Sorry for that tangent. But we decided to give it to her anyways.
Anyhow it is not Saturday (I think) and she is acting OK. Right now she is napping and feels a little warm- so as soon as I am done here, I am going to take her temp. But so help me God, if she has even one sign of relapse, I am taking her back in... you can count on that.
Oh and her diagnosis... "Viral Gastroenteritis and Dehydration". After 7 bags of fluids and 3 doses of Zofran, we are home.















No comments: